ysabetwordsmith 😦busy

Poem: "Done for the First Time"

This poem came out of the April 3, 2018 Poetry Fishbowl. It was inspired by prompts from [personal profile] chanter1944 and [personal profile] we_are_spc. It also fills the "anticipation" square in my 2-28-18 card for the Slice-of-Life Bingo fest. This poem has been sponsored by [personal profile] chanter1944. It belongs to the Fledgling Grace series.


"Done for the First Time"


The sculpture doesn't wait for
the sculptor, a la Michelangelo's quote,
before emerging from the block of marble.

It walks out, triple horns first and tail high,
then introduces itself in a tinny squawk
that is, nevertheless, intelligible as French
laced with enough Arabic to hint at
its medium's Algerian roots.

The gallery owner nearly faints. Twice.

The sculpture brushes off the dust
of the white Algerian marble, and
stalks away between the blocks of
Pietra gray and Valencia yellow.

When the sculpture walks into
the studio, the students look up
in surprise, their wings fluttering.

The statue stares back at them.
Its tail lashes a little with uncertainty,
then it hurries to the side of a young man
who is still trying to rough out a shape in
the soft soapstone of a practice block.

"I am here for you," the statue says,
already purring with anticipation.
"Let us explore your passion."

"I, I don't have any,"
the student stammers.
"I'm actually asexual."

The statue strokes
a clawed finger over
the soapstone model.

"Yet you summoned me,"
it says, "with your love of this."

"Yeah," says the student,
gray and white falcon wings
mantling over his project.
"Stonecarving is awesome."

"That is why I came,"
the statue says. "This was
too small for me, and so I had
to find another way through. I am
an incubus, and it is my duty
to give shape to your desire."

"But how did you even get here?"
the young man says, bewildered.
"I didn't mean to summon you!"

The incubus smiles,
showing dainty tusks.

"Whenever a thing is
done for the first time,
it releases a little demon."

* * *

Notes:

"Whenever a thing is done for the first time, it releases a little demon."
-- Emily Dickinson

Algerian White Marble from IndiaMart

Pietra Gray Marble from StoneContact

Valencia Yellow Marble from StoneContact

Learn about types of stone and how to sculpt them.

Hawks, eagles and falcons are known to be messengers of the sky, and are symbolic of spiritual awareness and spiritual rejuvenation. Reach for the sky applies not just for eagles but for hawks too, seeing a falcon should be taken as a message of inspiration and logical thinker. A falcon is a reminder to lead an honest and truthful life.