Log in

No account? Create an account
entries friends calendar profile PenUltimate Productions Website Previous Previous Next Next
The Wordsmith's Forge
The Writing & Other Projects of Elizabeth Barrette
The Vocabulary of Writing
theferrett has posted about "lipsticking," trying to fix a bad scene by tinkering with the words.

Here are two terms that I use about writing:

bug spot problem -- a situation when the writing draws attention to itself. Writing should usually be transparent, so that the reader's attention goes through it to the story. If the writing becomes a distraction, that's like bug spots on a window.

doorknob problem -- a situation in which the linchpin scene of a story does not work properly due to some kind of structural issue. When a particular scene is crucial to the success of an entire story, but is not able to hold up that much weight, that causes a fatal error in the story as a whole; and it's a difficult thing to fix. The name comes from a revision session focused on a scene that prominently featured a doorknob.

What are some terms that you use about writing?

Tags: , , ,
Current Mood: busy busy

3 comments or Leave a comment
just_the_ash From: just_the_ash Date: March 25th, 2009 04:29 pm (UTC) (Link)
"not soup yet" -- I may have got the nascent poem onto the page, but it's not ready for public viewing, much less prime time; it hasn't yet coalesced.

"I'm having a poem"/"pregnant with it" -- the state of walking around with a cluster of images and/or phrases all tangled up in blue my head, itching and urging, sort of like ten ferrets (no reference to theferrett intended) all squeezed up in there, before I'm ready to take it to paper or keyboard and start drafting. This stage can take weeks. It may involve a lot of pacing, rocking, and finger-tapping. chadu is one of the few people I trust to be around me when I'm actually "having the poem"/putting bits of it on paper, because I KNOW he understands when I say, "I need some paper/to use your computer RIGHT NOW!"

"spillage" -- the end product of freewriting.

"gleanings" -- When I've laid aside spillage for a while and then gone back to it to sift phrases and connections from the chaff, what I get out of it are the gleanings. (These latter two terms are courtesy of Carolyn Forché, my thesis advisor, mentor, guru.)

Edited at 2009-03-25 04:29 pm (UTC)
ysabetwordsmith From: ysabetwordsmith Date: March 25th, 2009 04:41 pm (UTC) (Link)


I picked up "being with book" from ozarque too.
whuffle From: whuffle Date: March 25th, 2009 05:29 pm (UTC) (Link)
One of my favorite writing terms comes from author Damon Knight. I read a piece of his on the subject of writing when I was in college that changed the way I thought. See Here For Full Text
3 comments or Leave a comment