Ways to reduce this problem include:
* Start conserving water now.
* Use water-catching techniques everywhere. Catch it in rainbarrels. Dig swales. Bury logs. Route runoff through rain gardens or marshes into ponds.
* Plant more trees. Large forests make their own rainstorms.
* Also stop cutting down the trees we already have.
* Check the local water budget to avoid taking out more water than flows into rivers, groundwater, etc.
* Encourage people to move from areas that are or will be short on water to areas with plenty.