1) When someone else pointed out the problem, he agreed that it was a problem.
2) He then admitted he had no idea how to fix it without making it worse; he lacked relevant experience and information, and really did not want to screw it up.
3) So the lady asked her friends who did have relevant experience.
4) One of them suggested introducing supernumerary characters -- background roles -- as a way of laying groundwork for a regular character later on.
5) And he did that. And it worked.
Believe that you can make a difference. If you aren't sure how, say so and seek further input from useful sources. Understand that if you're an artist, you'll never know most of the times you make an impact in somebody's life. But every so occasionally, someone will tell you that you have, and that's awesome.
So go save the world, it needs saving.