Most of this year's misses were because I simply didn't get around to working on them; I was busy with other stuff. Continued observation indicates that, while I'm quite good at meeting single goals or deadlines, I suck at meeting a list of goals because I forget to keep an eye on the various items. So I am still working on that part. I'm sure I'd do better at these if I remembered to check the list periodically throughout the year; therefore I'm making notes in my desk calendar and setting a goal for that.
I definitely like the "fill in the blank" goal, and will be keeping that.
How did you do with your 2010 goals, if you set any?
Below is a summary of my wordsmithing activities during 2010...
Poems Written: 288+
Poems Published: 19 outside The Wordsmith’s Forge + 167 fishbowl poems in The Wordsmith’s Forge = 186
Stories Written: 21 (Torn World) + 1 (other) = 22
Stories Submitted to Market: 19 (Torn World) + 10 (other) = 29
Stories Sold: 18 (Torn World) + 1 (other) = 19
Nonfiction Pieces Written: 11 (Torn World) + 12 (Llewellyn) + 8 (other) = 31
Nonfiction Pieces Published: 2+ (Torn World) + 43 (Llewellyn) + 7 (other) = 52+
Book Proposals Written: 0
Books Written: 0
Books/Book Proposals Submitted to Market: 0
Books Sold: 0
Books Published: 2
..... From Nature's Patient Hands: A Collection of Poetry
..... Prismatica: Science Fiction Poetry Spanning the Spectrum
Books Edited: 1 (YA paranormal romance)
Award Nominations: 5
..... Poetry Fishbowl Project for 2010 Rose & Bay Award: Poetry
..... "Fallen Gardens," "How the Aztecs Conquered Cortéz," "The Mummy
..... Child," and "The Dreamgod" for 2010 Rhysling Award
Awards Won: 2
..... Poetry Fishbowl Project WON 2010 Rose & Bay Award: Poetry
..... "the leaf whisperer" WON 2nd Place in 2009 Dwarf Stars Award
The most exciting accomplishment, of course, is the publication of my two new poetry books. That took up a great deal of my time and energy this year. Poetry continues to grow in general, and especially the fishbowl; I wound up with a total of 6 k-fans this year, wow!
My short story "The Political Courtesan Strikes Back" appeared in The Lorelei Signal. The others appeared in Torn World; you can find them on my contributor page. Some are for supporters only, but many are visible to the public. I really enjoyed participating in the Muse Fusions and I got a lot of stories out of that and other TW activities. In terms of boosting my fiction output, the exercise has been a success; but it's produced very little income, so I've cut back on it.
The two Wordpress blogs that I had going have both crashed. :( Hypatia's Hoard of Reviews vanished completely, although Gaiatribe is still visible. I set up a Dreamwidth account in case LiveJournal ever becomes uninhabitable. I also created a new version of my PenUltimate Productions website. It showcases some of my writing/editing work, projects, interests, and other stuff you might find useful.
I've learned more about the fancy digital camera. I'm getting good at switching between closeup and landscape modes, and turning the flash from auto to off. I'd like to try the high-speed "sports" mode sometime, but didn't get around to that this year. I did discover that while this camera often sucks at indoor shots in artificial lighting, it will do very nice silhouettes at twilight outdoors. You can see some of my pictures in the "photography" tag.
What were some of your accomplishments during 2010?
* Actually look at this list of goals, at least once, before the end of the year in hopes of meeting more of them and not trying to cram in December. [MET 1/23/11, 2/3/11, 3/30/11, 4/4/11, 5/17/11, 6/9/11, 7/4/11, 9/30/11, 12/29/11]
* Place one new book-length project on the market, either by writing a book proposal or by writing a complete book manuscript.
* Experiment with self-publishing a chapbook in ebook and/or home-printed format.
* Finish writing the poems needed to complete The 50 Poetic States collection. Keep shopping around the proposal for it in hopes of finding an editor who likes it and can afford to buy it.
* Write at least 250 poems. [MET 12/31/11]
* Continue holding one Poetry Fishbowl per month [MET 12/6/11].
* Post some more verses of "A Periodic Table of Elementals." [MET 9/25/11]
* Sell poetry to at least 3 new markets. [Sold
* Sell at least one poem of 10 or fewer lines, eligible for the Dwarf Stars Award. [MET 2/3/11 "Just like..." to Star*Line]
* Sell at least one poem of 50+ lines, eligible for the Rhysling Award long category. [MET 6/6/11 "Weapons of Mass Destruction" to Pedestal]
* Write at least 3 stories. Take more care not to let fiction engine idle until things spurt out sideways at inopportune times. [MET "On the Rocks" 1/29/11, "The Sky Rangers" 1/29/11, "One Toy for Three" 2/25/11 Non-Torn World: "Scum" 7/24/11]
* Finish at least one story that was partly written and then abandoned. [MET 1/26/11 "Cutting Time"]
* Edit at least one story that has already been written, and put it on the market.
* Sell at least one story. [MET 1/25/11 "The Flight of the Rose Butterfly" in Torn World]
* Obtain at least one new, regular writing or editing job that pays reasonably well.
* Continue expanding my connections with intentional community; write at least one article for Communities magazine. (MET 5/18/11)
* Run the Rose & Bay Awards for 2011. (MET 3/16/11)
* Complete at least one significant outdoor project, such as finishing reorganization of the blackberry patch or paving around the raspberry patch. (MET spring/summer planting native grasses in prairie garden and wildflower garden)
* Improve my understanding of how the fancy digital camera works, so that I can learn to use more of its features. (MET 7/4/11: shooting fast-moving fireworks, at night, with long exposure, from a tripod) Try out the high-speed "sports" mode.
* Fill in the blank: __________. This slot is left open because, during any given year, I usually pick up some "surprise" goals. This time I want to give myself credit for that. (MET June/July building "Greenhaven: A Pagan Tradition" website, organized posts for crowdfunding in LJ Spotlight July 18-24)
[Consider doing this with an actual point score next year?]
What are some of your goals for 2011?