* Say "I love you." Most people enjoy hearing this.
* List some things that you love about someone: "I love your sense of humor. I love that you encourage me."
* Write notes and tuck them where they will be found later in the day, such as a lunch box, school bag, or briefcase.
* Talk with each other. Ask what someone did today or what their plans are. Discuss current events.
* Show your affection physically. Hug, kiss, hold hands, or cuddle. Give someone a massage. Consenting adults add lovemaking to this set.
* Pay attention to the people you love, so that you learn things about them. It is good to know their birthdays, clothing sizes, favorite color, favorite foods, what they collect, etc. This makes it easier to talk about them and to buy or recommend gifts.
* Make a point of doing things that someone else will enjoy, such as going into stores or attending events that they like.
* When someone you love is having a bad day, do something to pick up the slack or to cheer them up. Play their favorite song, cook comfort foods, or do one of their chores yourself.
* Give someone a little gift for no reason. It can be something you make, or you might notice something in a store and buy it. Flowers and chocolates are traditional, but you can be creative too -- use your knowledge of each person's interests. This is not just for boyfriends to do for their girlfriends! It works in most relationships, in any direction. I once saw a commercial in which a woman said, "I thought these were <i>so cute,</i> I just had to get them for you!" -- and held up a pair of power tools. Her husband's buddy turned to him and said, "Does she have a sister?"
* Set aside time to spend together. You might go for a walk, watch a movie, or play a game.
* Celebrate the milestones of life. Go out for dinner on birthdays or anniversaries. Do something fun to mark a graduation or other accomplishment. Sympathize with setbacks.
What are your favorite ways of showing love?
Some additional resources:
"How to Show Your Parents You Love Them"
"101 ways to show your children you love them"
"101 ways to show you love somebody (without having sex)"
"Romance 101: How to Show Her that You Love Her"
"How to Show Your Man That You Love Him"