?

Log in

entries friends calendar profile PenUltimate Productions Website Previous Previous Next Next
Poem: "Spirit of Truth" - The Wordsmith's Forge
The Writing & Other Projects of Elizabeth Barrette
ysabetwordsmith
ysabetwordsmith
Poem: "Spirit of Truth"
Here is the linkback perk for the February 4, 2014 Poetry Fishbowl. If you link to the fishbowl, make a comment and include the URL to reveal a verse of this poem.  If you link on different services, you can get multiple verses.

This poem came out of the January 7, 2014 Poetry Fishbowl.  It was inspired by prompts from kelkyag and rix_scaedu.  It also fills the "Truth serum, truth spells, and truth drugs" square in my 8-13-13 card for the Ladies Bingo fest.

8 of 19 verses have been posted. Linkers include: DW user Poetree_admin, janetmiles, technoshaman, Sylvaine,


Spirit of Truth



One morning when Shaeth and Trobby
had been driving Glenta's patience
off the end of the pier,
she hit upon the idea
of sending them out to gather herbs.

This bought several hours
of peace and quiet in which
Glenta and Eshne managed to
complete a number of candle lanterns
for lighting the temple.

Then Shaeth and Trobby came home
with an empty wine bottle, a full herb basket,
and entirely too much loose talk
for anyone's comfort.

"What in the world has gotten into them?"
Eshne whispered to Glenta
as they heaved the two lushes into bed.

"Ish the shpirit of truth!" Shaeth said,
waving the wine bottle
perilously close to Glenta's head.

"Give me that, you old fool," she said,
tugging it out of his slack grip.
Glenta sniffed at the bottle,
examined the remaining herbs,
and heaved a sigh.
"I am going to assume that you
did not make a truth potion on purpose."

"I jusht wanted to show Trobby
how to make shun wine," said Shaeth.
Trobby lolled on his pillow and added,
"He showed me, all right. Then the baker's wife
showed ush both her hot crossh buns!"

Eshne giggled. "That's bound to make
no end of trouble," she said.
"I expect we'll be baking our own bread
once the baker finds out about that."

"Oh, she's been filling her oven
with shomebody elshe's loaves for years,"
Shaeth said with a blithe wave of his hand.
"If he doesn't know by now, he's blind."

So it was left to Eshne to keep an eye
on the very drunk and far too truthful
God of Drunks and his priest,
while Glenta went off to find
Abredin the Herb Goddess
and ask for an antidote.

"You say they made this, by accident,
while trying to brew sun wine?"
Abredin asked as she examined the bottle
and a sampling of the gathered herbs.

"From what they said, yes,"
Glenta reported.


[To be continued ...]

Tags: , , , , , , ,
Current Mood: busy busy

10 comments or Leave a comment
Comments
ysabetwordsmith From: ysabetwordsmith Date: February 4th, 2014 08:05 pm (UTC) (Link)

Re: 4 links

Thank you! Your four new verses are up.
From: technoshaman Date: February 4th, 2014 08:03 pm (UTC) (Link)
Posted to FB. more if time.
ysabetwordsmith From: ysabetwordsmith Date: February 4th, 2014 08:07 pm (UTC) (Link)

Thank you!

I've posted your verse.
cmcmck From: cmcmck Date: February 4th, 2014 09:33 pm (UTC) (Link)
It occurred to me that I hadn't added you on here so I've now rectified that oversight! :o)
ysabetwordsmith From: ysabetwordsmith Date: February 4th, 2014 09:35 pm (UTC) (Link)

Yay!

I'm happy to make the connection. I have friended you back.
janetmiles From: janetmiles Date: February 10th, 2014 12:54 am (UTC) (Link)

My standard four links

ysabetwordsmith From: ysabetwordsmith Date: February 10th, 2014 07:45 am (UTC) (Link)

Re: My standard four links

Thank you! I have posted your four new verses.
torc87 From: torc87 Date: May 27th, 2017 09:49 pm (UTC) (Link)

Love this story

So I was scrolling your works as I wait for the latest Love is for Children update. Found that I pretty much adore All your work. New favorite author.

I breezed through Monster House on one breath, loved Moon Door. Enjoyed Fiorenza though she is so capable and together it's a touch hard to empathize w her.

This series though. This captured me in ways I'm not sure even Love is for Children did. And I read each of those stories multiple times.

I really really want to see more of Saeth and his story, his followers. In fact this is the first series I would be interested in sponsoring , if it gets me more.

There are two unfinished stories in the series. Including this one. How can I get them finished?

Regina
ysabetwordsmith From: ysabetwordsmith Date: May 27th, 2017 10:19 pm (UTC) (Link)

Re: Love this story

>> So I was scrolling your works as I wait for the latest Love is for Children update. Found that I pretty much adore All your work. New favorite author. <<

:D I am so happy to hear that!

>> I breezed through Monster House on one breath, loved Moon Door. <<

Yay!

>> Enjoyed Fiorenza though she is so capable and together it's a touch hard to empathize w her. <<

Fiorenza's challenges are more external than internal, and as the series progresses, she learns how to cope with that. She's always been kind of a badass, it's just that early on, people didn't listen to her very well because she was so young. After several years of her being mostly right, more people have gotten a clue so they argue less. Later in the series, the major challenges include trying to figure out how to get married without shirking her responsibility to the village, and how to rebuild a relationship with her father. But if you think things are too easy, feel free to throw her in over her head. ;) Fairytales are good for that. Also there's no such thing as overpowered characters, just underpowered challenges.




Love this story



So I was scrolling your works as I wait for the latest Love is for Children update. Found that I pretty much adore All your work. New favorite author.

I breezed through Monster House on one breath, loved Moon Door. Enjoyed Fiorenza though she is so capable and together it's a touch hard to empathize w her.

>> This series though. This captured me in ways I'm not sure even Love is for Children did. And I read each of those stories multiple times. <<

Wow! That's awesome, because LIFC is one of the most popular things I've ever written.

>> I really really want to see more of Saeth and his story, his followers. In fact this is the first series I would be interested in sponsoring , if it gets me more.<<

Either prompting or sponsoring will get you more. Next opportunity will be the Poetry Fishbowl on Tuesday, June 6 with a theme of "Poke ALL the Bigots in the Eye." Given that most people look down on drunks, that should be a good match. It's always exciting to find a new fan of a series! \o/

Note that people may give simple (like a word or phrase) or complex (like a plot) prompts, and general (applicable to any series or character) or specific (with a name) prompts. Simple and general prompts are more likely to get multiple poems; sometimes I get on a roll. Complex and specific ones get you exactly what you ask for, but it's rare for those to go more than one unless it's so long I have to break it down. Thus far, Shaeth hasn't run to epics as much as some other series have. If there's something specific you'd enjoy seeing more of, you can ask for it and get it -- but "more Shaeth!" is just as viable.

>> There are two unfinished stories in the series. Including this one. How can I get them finished? <<

Boost the signal. I do a variety of things where you can reveal a verse of a poem for each link on a different service (LiveJournal, Dreamwidth, Tumblr, etc.) where you promote something. Linking to the unsold poetry list and the Poetry Fishbowl reports generally point back to older linkback poems that aren't finished like this. Watch in the next few days, because I need to post those for the May fishbowl. New fishbowls have a new linkback poem, but if you want your links to go to an older poem, just give me the link to that poem or its title so I know where to put them. You can boost signal on however many social networks you have accounts on.

10 comments or Leave a comment